The Centre for Biodiversity Genomics at the University of Guelph is the world leader in the DNA-based identification on the planet. To support our research activities and those of our international partners, we have a first-class staff of informatics professionals and a high-performance computing facility. We are seeking a system administrator to join the IT team in our Informatics Unit.
Candidates should be highly skilled in managing Linux based environments, familiar with the current technologies, and have a passion for innovative and transformative projects.
As a member of the IT Team, you will:
- Configure, build, deploy and maintain servers/virtual servers, storage and network infrastructure
- Enforce security of all systems by monitoring for vulnerabilities/threats, generating weekly usage and security reports and performing hardening activities
- Proactively identify problems by utilizing monitoring tools to avoid service interruption and minimize down-time
- Follow best practice methodologies associated with maintaining IT infrastructures such as Change Management and Problem Management
- Join project teams to develop new solutions
- Perform and ensure server, code, database and storage backups
What you’ll need to do the job well:
- Extensive experience in deploying and managing Linux/Unix systems
- Experience in managing SAN/NAS environments
- Experience with virtualization, virtual server deployment and management
- Experience with deploying and maintaining network filesystems (e.g. nfs,smb,gpfs, etc)
- Excellent understanding of TCP/IP networking protocols & services, network administration, security and firewalls
- Familiar with scripting languages such as Bash, Python, Perl for system management
- Strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
What will give you an advantage:
- Experience with hypervisors (e.g. Xencenter, Red Hat Virtualization, OpenStack, etc)
- Experience managing and maintaining development environments (eg. Git, Confluence, etc)
- Experience with load balancing, clustering and caching technologies
- Experience with databases (Postgresql, NoSQL, In-Memory)
- Familiarity with cluster-based or parallel-based storage systems
- Experience with Amazon AWS
- A certification in a Linux or cloud platform.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
Posting Date: 2018 03 29
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Our preference would be candidates who are currently residents of Guelph/Kitchener/Waterloo Region or those who would quickly relocate here. If you would like to join our friendly and diverse work environment, please send your resume to: email@example.com