Pre-Conference Workshop Resources
- Welcome and introduction – Natural History Collection Harvesting Strategies & Logistics (PDF)
- Sample Harvesting in Natural History Collections (PDF)
- Specimen Digitization (PDF)
- Pre-lab Processing (PDF)
- Standard Protocols for Natural History Collection Barcoding (PDF)
- Data Analysis and Archiving (PDF)
- New Developments in the lab (PDF)
CCDB and BOLD Templates
- Specimen Removal Labels (XLS): Create label place holders for specimen removal from a museum collection. *Need to change the institution on loan to and the plate numbers accordingly.
- DNA Barcode Labels (XLS): Labels to add to specimens that are tissue sampled on site to mark that they have been sampled for sequencing. *Need to update the sample ID accordingly.
- Museum Data Entry (XLS): Spreadsheet to enter data while at the museum. The information will also be used by the museum for the loan invoice.
- Borisenko, A. V., J. E. Sones, and P. D. N. Hebert. 2009. The front-end logistics of DNA barcoding: challenges and prospects. Molecular Ecology Resources 9:27-34.
- Hebert, P. D. N., J. R. deWaard, E. V. Zakharov, S. W. J. Prosser, J. E. Sones, J. T. A. McKeown, B. Mantle, and J. La Salle. 2013. A DNA ‘Barcode Blitz’: Rapid Digitization and Sequencing of a Natural History Collection. Plos One 8:14.
- Hebert, P. D. N., T. W. A. Braukmann, S. W. J. Prosser, S. Ratnasingham, J. R. deWaard, N. V. Ivanova, D. H. Janzen, W. Hallwachs, S. Naik, J. E. Sones and E. V. Zakharov. 2017. A Sequel to Sanger: Amplicon Sequencing That Scales. bioRxiv.
- Porco, D., R. Rougerie, L. Deharveng, and P. Hebert. 2010. Coupling non-destructive DNA extraction and voucher retrieval for small soft-bodied Arthropods in a high-throughput context: the example of Collembola. Molecular Ecology Resources 10:942-945.
- Prosser, S. W. J., J. R. deWaard, S. E. Miller, and P. D. N. Hebert. 2016. DNA barcodes from century-old type specimens using next-generation sequencing. Molecular Ecology Resources 16:487-497.